Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Blood Drive Today!

Update: I was not able to donate today...darn LOW IRON!
My % today was the lowest it has ever been. Normally I am 'deferred' by 1% not 5%. Need to get healthy.
No wonder I am always so tired and irritable and out of breathe.
Blood Donation
I tried to donate blood, but was denied because my blood count (hematocrit value) was too low.
Hematocrit is a measure of the percentage of red blood cells in a blood sample. To donate blood, a person's hematocrit value must be above the threshold of 38%, (MY LEVELS WERE A MERE 33%)a level which is established by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Iron/Vitamin Deficiency
Donating blood is a great way to help your community, but sometimes you can be turned down from donating because your blood count is too low. This is called being "deferred" and about 10% of people who attempt to donate are deferred because of a low blood count.1 Don't feel bad if you were deferred for this reason because it is one of the most common reasons people are not allowed to donate blood.2 After testing a sample of your blood, you may have been told your "iron is low," you have a "low blood count," "low hemoglobin" or "low hematocrit." Essentially, each of these terms means you do not have enough red blood cells in your body to donate blood.
The medical term for a lower than normal blood count is anemia and there are many reasons why it can develop. One common cause may be that your body does not have enough iron or vitamins to make healthy red blood cells. Even though you were not allowed to donate on a particular day due to low blood count, there are usually some simple measures you can take to raise your level.
How does my body use iron and vitamins?
Iron and vitamins are the nutrients that are found in foods we eat. Iron builds muscle proteins, healthy bones, and most importantly, it helps make red blood cells.14 In the blood, these cells carry oxygen from your lungs to all parts of your body. When your body does not have enough iron it is called iron deficiency, and it can make you feel tired or even cause damage to your internal organs. Iron deficiency can develop into anemia when the body has had a low level of iron for a long time.
When it comes to vitamins, each one has a special role to play. For example, folic acid is necessary for DNA synthesis and very important in making white and red blood cells.15 Vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 are also needed for blood cell production and B12 also helps maintain healthy nerves.16 These are just a few of the vitamins your body needs, but they are the most important ones related to making red blood cells.

My reminder today said:
Today is your day to save 3 lives!


I have been taking my vitamins so I sure hope my iron levels will allow me to donate.
I was good on my last donation in December.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh honey... We will do something about that. I feel bad for you. I'm going to the store now to get you some vitamins. Smoochs :-)

Stephanie said...

Dang..sorry babe!
Next time you will be good and ready hopefully!!