Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Teen Diaries

So the Boy (13) is allowed to wear either Black or White Polo's as part of his school uniform. When I took him shopping for clothes we only found White shirts, so I had picked out a Large and an XL because he is a growing weed. I then asked him to go try them on, to make sure they fit. Last year we had the problem of the kids just telling me they wore size X/Y/Z and a week later I am trying to figure out why I haven't seen them wear the new school clothes I just bought.

The same excuse comes up: It doesn't FIT ME NOW..or IT Shrunk. Aaargh. I am like, WHAT!! I just bought that last week. How does it NOT fit?

So back to this school year. We bought him several White Polo shirts size XL. They looked a little big so I figured they should last him until at least Christmas Break. Well, I had come to notice this morning that Darren has been mostly wearing his Black Polo shirts. Which we had found and bought for him about a weeks ago. Mind you, he has been in school 3.5 weeks. So I asked, Gee Darren, you haven't been wearing your White shirts lately! To my surprise his response was, "Yeah, cause they don't fit me anymore". WTH? How is it that they fit 2-3 weeks ago, but not today. His response,"No, really, they shrunk". I can only shake my head with regret. So when I get home, he will try on the white shirts and then the black shirts and I will tell you if they fit or not. I know we have washed them, I truly just think he prefers the black shirts. *Sighs*

I have also been taking the kids to school every morning and I enjoy doing so. It just makes me feel more connected with them. The fact that I can see them off and tell them to have a good day warms my heart. Anyhow, Darren has asked to walk home after school and I have agreed to let him. He walks with a few other friends and I know he has to stand on his own 2 feet at the age of 13 (in 8th grade). So everyday, as a friendly reminder I tell him (after he says, Bye Mom, have a good day "I LOVE YOU") to "Be Careful Walking Home". So this morning, he glances at me and said, "What? Do you think I am going to Jump off a bridge or something?". I was like a deer in headlights. I was a little hurt by his comment. I thought to myself, I am just reminding him that he walks along a busy road and you never know where danger is lurking. I guess he is just coming into being that teen aged boy. *Sighs*


Lastly, Darren told me that some of his classrooms are cold at the school and some of the kids wear light jackets. So I went and bought a jacket I felt was reasonable for his needs. It looked like something he would wear, it wasn't too expensive and it wasn't too big etc. I bring it home and HE LOVES IT! His exact words are "Cool Mom, Thank You". He puts it on and wears it the rest of the day.


I am dropping him off at school and he is like..."Mom!" "slow down". I am thinking, What? Why?
I slow down, and get to the circle drop off and let him out. He looks at me and says, "Oh man, that other kid has my jacket". So...since someone else has his jacket....He will no longer wear it! I want to strangle the boy. I can't help but think to myself, why can't the other kid stop wearing HIS jacket so Darren can wear his. Like a WHO WORE IT BETTER thing.
*Teenagers-and so it begins*

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh wow..is this what I have to look forward to?!?! ;)
I actually dont dry any of our shirts...I put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes and then hang dry them. Sounds like a pain, but we have shirts for years without them shrinking!! :)
Just a thought!
Let us know how the shirts go tonight when he tries them on!

Lovely Lalo-Cha said...

HIS WHITE SHIRTS ARE FINE! THEY ARE A LITTLE SHORTER THAN HIS BLACK ONES BUT NOT ENOUGH FOR HIM NOT TO WEAR THEM. I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING TO HIM AND HE WORE A WHITE ONE YESTERDAY..WHAT A GOOFBALL.